Posted November 19, 2019 16:15:50 The Government has taken the unprecedented step of announcing the introduction of cheap and simple intercom equipment in the country’s public transport system, which will save the Government millions of dollars a year.
“I’ve been in the public transport industry for a long time and I’ve been involved in various decisions where there was a lot of uncertainty around what the Government was going to do,” Transport Minister Simon Birmingham said.
“This is not something that is a surprise to anybody. “
“It’s a decision that has been taken for a very, very long period of time. “
We’ve always been keen on the quality, reliability and performance of our systems and this is an important decision that’s going to be made. “
It’s a decision that has been taken for a very, very long period of time.
“But this is going to make things much easier and will save us money in the long run.” “
The announcement comes after more than $2 billion was spent on the rollout of the new systems over the past year, with a cost of more than a quarter of a billion dollars. “
But this is going to make things much easier and will save us money in the long run.”
The announcement comes after more than $2 billion was spent on the rollout of the new systems over the past year, with a cost of more than a quarter of a billion dollars.
“If you look at all the cost overruns that have occurred over the years, it’s really not that much of an issue,” Mr Birmingham said in a statement.
“However, it does mean that we’ve had to take significant measures in order to get the systems into the public network.”
In an interview with ABC Radio Canberra’s The Week, Mr Birmingham confirmed the Government would be introducing an intercom in every public car, bus and tram stop in the next two years.
The Minister said the Government had invested around $2.3 billion to upgrade the network since being elected in 2015, and that cost would continue to increase over the next four years.
The Government will also invest an additional $1.6 billion in the national intercom network by 2021, with additional investment to come later this year.
However, Mr Anderson said the Federal Government would also be investing in the state-of-the-art systems used by Canberra’s public transit systems, including buses, trams, tricades and intercom stations.
“The State Government is currently investing over $4 billion into these systems, and we are going to invest another $2 million in the National intercom networks,” he said.
Mr Anderson said Canberra’s new intercom was being tested by the Federal Parliament, and the Government expected the new system to be in operation by 2019.
“When you have an interchange system that’s capable of receiving and receiving data, it is very easy to test, because it’s been tested in Canberra and other parts of Australia, so it’s quite a simple and easy thing to test,” he added.
“So we are confident that this will be an effective and efficient system.”
The Federal Government’s first phase of the Federal Intercom Network (FIND) project includes upgrading more than 200 public intercom boxes to use high-performance audio codecs to deliver the latest and greatest audio technologies, including Dolby Atmos.
A second phase will include more than 2,000 bus intercom units and about 1,200 tricorders.
And a third phase will see a total of 7,000 new bus interpreters, about 200 tricorder interpreter units and 7,500 tricade interprecers.
Under FIND, the Government will invest $2bn over the course of the next five years to install more than 600,000 intercom modules across Canberra.
Transport Minister Simon Houston said the system had been in use for the past two years, and it had saved the Government more than two billion dollars a month in operating costs.
He said the new interpreting equipment was also expected to make the journey easier.
For more information on the Federal Network Intercom, visit the Federal Road Transport website.